Wednesday, January 9, 2013

محو الأمية البصرية

Today in Concept Development we had a conversation about Visual Literacy. But before we could really get into the subject we had to define what each word of the phrase means. Visual is what can be seen, and Literacy is the ability to read and write. So I came up with this: Visual Literacy is the ability to understand the concepts and ideas that can be experienced through sight. Reflecting on this a bit more I realized  that the concept of alphabet was the easiest and perfect example. When you see the letters that make up the words you're reading you understand that they make words and you understand the idea and concept behind those words and thus understand what I'm writing. There are  even a few things that the brain can understand even if things aren't quite written correctly. For example, spelling works backwards, or mixing up the letters one can still deduct the intended word(s) and understand the meaning. But if something were but in front of you in a different language you may not be able to understand the meanings of the character and thus will not be able to understand the concept or idea. And the same thing goes for images signs and basically anything that you can see. 

Next in class we shifted our thinking towards images, and how a picture is worth 1000 words, and how may words is a film worth. But I couldn't help but think about dreaming. I guess you can say I was daydreaming about dreaming, but it was all in reflection and on topic if Jimmy Moss ( Concept Development professor) is reading this. And what I got for my short period of reflection was that when we dream, usually we are very involved attached, even emotionally, to our dreams. But we don't technically see anything because we're sleep and our eyes ate closed. But the images that our subconscious creates is sometimes so vivid that our dreams can be more real and VISUAL than real life, at least to me. But when I try to explain my crazy dream to someone it's a minute or two of explanation, but this dream lasted over an hour. I'm sure unconsciously we don't have the same grasp and concept of time, but I think that our minds are so keen and adept at picking up details that just to process all the incoming information takes more time than it does to produce it.

P.S. محو الأمية البصرية means "Visual Literacy" in Arabic 

No comments:

Post a Comment