Monday, March 18, 2013

Going Backwards

After taking in what Sonook parks points of view I took a few moments to reflect on that. I think the most profound thing that he spoke about was the cultural divide .  As we all know each group of people or culture has their own set of traditions an ways to look at the world. Park specifically chose how the American culture looks at the individual opposed to how Asian cultures, specifically Chinese look at the individual. The size of the world is a finite number but the world is getting smaller everyday. Besides the fact that there are more people being brought into the world and it's filling up the space of the world. We as a global culture are continuously finding new and faster ways to connect with one another and closing the gap between different cultures. I've secretly always had a slight obsession with how foreigners, especially those whom English is not their first language. My name doesn't translate exactly into other languages, Samuel is the closest. I am always interested in hearing how a person interprets my name because it is familiarly irregular. In any language the easiest way to pronounce something is my finding familiar combinations of letters and I've heard a few ways to say my name.
The same can be said about the other  ways of cultural interpretation. For example how Sunook  brought up how American tackle their problems steadfast and Asian cultures kind of superficially solve problems by walking about them. Also in reference to death Americans use the idiom "passing away" and other cultures use "returning".
It all boils down to our individual identity, where or who we have grown up and our personality. As an American, I understood the "finder, catcher, keeper, seller, manager" analogy using fish but I think it's more relevant to me to think about the product as being cattle or something to be hunted. In other cultures where eating meat or fish isn't as prevalent I would think that finding mushrooms would ring more relevant to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment